How It Works...
Advance reservations are highly recommended to secure the right equipment for your adventure. Please call or email us ahead to make your reservation for a particular date and time with the number and type of boats appropriate for your party.
On your reservation day, arrive at our Mill Bend launch site a few minutes before your reservation time to register, pay by cash, check or major credit card, select dry bags for your gear and provisions and be fitted in life jackets. We have PFD’s (life vests) to fit approximately age 2 years on up, as well as sizes for adults to 3XL. For smaller children, or if your older child has his/her own pfd, we recommend you bring it, as young children are more comfortable in their own, familiar gear.
Adventure Rents transports all boats and gear to the launch location. Our staff will assist you in stowing gear in your boat(s), and are happy to give basic instruction upon request. Our staff is knowledgeable about the Gualala River and current conditions and will answer any questions you may have. We do the work, you have the fun!
Having completed your paddling adventure, when you return to the launch/take-out beach if staff is not available, please pull the boats up well onto the beach to prevent them from drifting off. Place your paddles by the boats, unpack your drybags of personal belongings and trash (place in bag provided at site), and put the drybags & PFD's in your boat. We know when you are expected from your rental form, so we’ll be back to pick up boats and gear. If you are the last customers of the day, please swing the pipe gate closed behind you when you leave.
- What should I wear?
Proper clothing can make your paddling adventure more enjoyable. Remember my oft-quoted adage…“There is no bad weather… just inadequate clothing”.
Dress in layers for your own personal comfort. Keep in mind, if you didn’t bring it, you can’t wear it. You can always remove extra layers and place in our dry bags, (rubberized gear bags with sealed openings to keep your gear dry and also dandy for storing extra clothes, towels and personal items and are provided in medium and large sizes as part of your rental).
- Wear synthetic fibers that wick water away from your skin and dry quickly. Even on a nice day, you don’t want to feel soggy, so cotton is not the best fabric choice.
- A brimmed hat or sun visor protects your head and face from the sun's harmful UV rays…even on foggy days.
- A bathing suit is a nice accessory. The Gualala is a clean river that warms up into the 70°’s in summer and is great for swimming. Getting wet is part of the fun of paddling! Be mindful there are no “changing areas” on the river banks, so layering up from a swimsuit is a good plan.
- Appropriate footwear is essential. NO BARE FEET PLEASE! The Gualala has a coarse gravel bottom which can be uncomfortable walking with bare feet. Protect your feet with river sandals or aqua sox, old sneakers or even flip-flops. Some paddlers wear fleece or wool socks or neoprene booties for extra warmth.
What should I bring?
- Sunscreen with a high SPF is recommended. Remember, UV rays are just as severe reflecting up from the water, on clear and even overcast days.
- Sunglasses will also protect against sun. Don't forget a retaining strap; especially if they are prescription or expensive designer models!
- A beach towel or blanket provides a more comfortable surface for the river’s gravel bars.
- Keep a bottle of water handy while paddling to avoid getting dehydrated. Choose plastic or metal only please. Avoid bringing glass containers on the river!
- Bring snacks to keep your energy up. Paddling is exercise!
- A picnic lunch. Our canoes can hold hard-sided coolers, and our kayaks can hold soft-sided coolers and dry bags that we provide. You can pull over anywhere along the river or on the gravel bars to relax and picnic.
- Sorry, open fires are not allowed anywhere on the riverbanks or the Gualala beach sandbar.
- Please pack out your garbage. We’re happy to provide you with garbage sacks, just ask! If some of your trash got placed in a dry bag, no worries! Put the trash in the receptacle at the launch site and please advise us if the dry bag needs to be cleaned, okay?
- A camera. We can provide a gasket-sealed box for most sizes of cameras. Please ask. We welcome digital photos from customers and may feature them on our website.
- Bring a sense of fun and adventure!
"We are put here on this world to mess around.
Don't let anyone tell you anything different."
~ Kurt Vonnegut